HEARTWELL CAL RIPKEN BABE RUTH LEAGUE / HEARTWELL BASEBALL INC.
PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
We, the Board Members of Heartwell Cal Ripken – Babe Ruth League, have implemented the following Parent Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the proper role of parents in supporting their child(ren) in sports. Parents must read, understand and sign this form prior to their child(ren) participating
in our league.
Any parent exhibiting improper conduct at any game, practice or other function at our facility will be asked to leave the Heartwell Cal Ripken – Babe Ruth League facility, and shall be suspended from the following game in which his/her child(ren) will be playing. Repeat violations may cause multiple game suspensions, or entire season forfeiture of the privilege of attending any and all games at the facility. Negative behavior exhibited at ANY facility at which our league participates in games will result in the same suspensions and forfeitures as noted above.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles:
• Good Citizenship
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
I therefore agree:
1. I will not force my child(ren) to participate in sports.
2. I will remember that children participate to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
3. I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
4. I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
5. I (and my guests) will be positive role models for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
6. Neither I or my guests will engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player,
parent or Board member such as booing and taunting, refusing to shake hands, or using profane language or gestures.
7. I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well-being of the athletes.
8. I will teach my child(ren) to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
9. I will demand that my child(ren) treat other players, coaches, officials, parents, spectators and Board members with respect regardless of race, creed, color, gender, ability, religion, etc.
10. I will teach my child(ren) that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child(ren) will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or any player’s individual performance.
11. I will praise my child(ren) for competing fairly and trying hard, and make all children including my own feel like winners every time.
12. I will never ridicule or yell at my child(ren) or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
13. I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child(ren) over winning. I will also
de-emphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
14. I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child(ren) to win.
15. I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches or managers at the game field, and will take time to speak with them at an agreed upon time and place.
16. I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and will refrain from their use at all sports events.
17. I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am assigned to serve as one of the official coaches of the team.